18 May Accepting Applications for IMAGINE Festival Residencies
Posted at 09:00h in Announcements, Discounts, Members, Opportunities 0 CommentsDance Films Association (DFA) and Earthdance Creative Living Project (Earthdance) announce the IMAGINE Festival: Film, Technology, and the Body in Action (IMAGINE) September 29 – October 1, 2017. IMAGINE will include a weekend of immersive film screenings, body and technology-based workshops, dialogue sessions, and video installations on the Earthdance campus, an artist-run center, that includes dance studios, work laboratories, and unconventional performance spaces located on 125 acres in the Berkshire hills of Western Massachusetts. IMAGINE Festival explores relationships between technology and the human body in action. IMAGINE will be preceded by two Residencies at Earthdance for one to two weeks in the Spring and Fall of 2017. Artists will develop their projects during Residencies, integrating the resources provided by DFA and Earthdance, including technical equipment, staff support, and space ranging from dance studios to work spaces to the great outdoors. High capacity artists experimenting with embodied and ecologically grounded approaches to technology are encouraged to apply to the Residencies. Spring Residencies will be focused on dance film and performance with projection; Fall Residencies (leading right up to the Festival) will be more installation and immersive based. IMAGINE seeks projects that engage in questions or criticisms around recent technological advancements, exploring ways to utilize technology to strengthen connections between people, communities, and the natural environment. Projects from the Residencies will be presented at the IMAGINE Festival September 29- October 1, 2017 at Earthdance. Applications are now opened through June 30, 2016. Application fees are $30 for DFA members and Earthdance affiliates; $40 for non-members. Participants will be notified in September 2016.
IMAGINE Festival is in its inaugural year, and aims to become an annual event presented each year at Earthdance.
- Working/Performance spaces at Earthdance (Plainfield, Massachusetts) include:
- 2 beautiful, large dance studios with sprung maple floors and radiant heating
- Several cabins and other spaces ideal for installations, private work space, and unconventional performance spaces for Creators-in-Residence (CIRs)
- The great outdoors: more than 125 acres of meadow and forest for art-making and respite
- A church and community center for site-specific work (through collaboration with a local congregation)
- Accommodations & Community include:
- Lodging in our dormitory-style Gratitude Lodge
- Vegetarian meals prepared and cleaned up collectively by Earthdance staff and CIRs. Earthdance staff will coordinate the menu and ordering.
- Community-living atmosphere with opportunities to share your work and alongside the local community.
- A wood-stove sauna nestled in the woods
- Creative Support includes:
- Consultation on your project before and after the Residency in preparation for IMAGINE
- Marketing and visibility for your project
- Dedicated technical support during the residencies
- Support in gaining access to technical and video equipment