31 May Dance on Camera Festival Curator Position
Curator Position- Request for Proposal
The individual in this 2 year seasonal, contracted position will work in partnership with Film Society of Lincoln Center’s (FSLC) curator, Joanna Ney, to envision the scope of the 41st and 42nd annual Dance on Camera Festival (DOCF) at Lincoln Center. Candidate will act as liaison between DFA and FSLC. The contractor will report directly to DFA’s Executive Director. Commitment runs from August through the first week of February for each calendar year. A known figure in film and/or dance curation with at least 3-5 years of experience, knowledgeable about film and dance, who will research and develop new film programs for DOCF.
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director to plan and budget reasonable expenses.
- Build and maintain studio and PR relationships and negotiate with distributors, producers and sales companies to secure films for exhibition
- Work with publicists and talent representatives to secure special guests, including choreographers and film directors, for various programs and events and arrange for their appearance at DOCF.
- Arrange for moderators for post-screening Q&As for special programs and series
- Introduce films and other programs, and make other public and educational appearances as assigned, including moderating post-screening Q&As.
- Oversee videography and photography at special film events and series; ensure that imagery is used on website and in other marketing outlets.
- Work with DFA and FSLC staff to oversee the administrative aspects of DOCF including marketing materials and festival program.
- Expand and execute all publicity and marketing initiatives which may include promotions, ticket giveaways, membership specials, promoting film programs.
- Research and write copy for program guides and schedules, email blasts, website listings, social networking sites, and other promotional channels.
- Develop entry form and regularly update DFA with film program prospects.
- Assemble and direct the DOCF Jury.
- Create and maintain systems for tracking new film releases and filmmakers/ choreographers appropriate for various programs.
- Additional film programming and program marketing-related tasks as assigned by Executive Director.
- Available to begin discussing ideas, strategy, organization, various aspects of preparation for festival beginning in June with curation beginning as early as August and extending through Feb 15, 2013.
- Bachelors Degree
- At least 3 years of experience in a similar role
- Current knowledge of dance films, dance and film trends, film festivals, and essential knowledge of dance film world through daily reading and communication.
- Experience in maintaining successful professional contacts
- Contacts in the film world.
- Basic computer skills such as Excel and Word
- Ability to read and understand budgets
- Excellent written, public speaking, and telephone communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Customer service oriented
- Interest and knowledge of DFA’s programming and mission
- Ability to communicate effectively with multiple internal and external parties
- Ability to negotiate, with artistic and financial interests at heart
- Dedication to the job above and beyond the time spent in office.
- A deep love for dance film and strong work ethic, as well as dedication to the advancement of cinema culture